Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: file/local variables (and auctex?)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:33:34 +0200

* thorne (2007-04-10) writes:

> Hello.  I am working on a file and in its current incarnation it has a
> file variables (first) line that looks like this:
>
> % -*- fill-column: 60; -*-
>
> and a local variables (last) section that looks like this:
>
> % Local Variables: %
> % mode:latex %
> % mode:longlines %
> % tab-width:5 %
> % tex-open-quote:"\"" %
> % tex-close-quote:"\"" %
> % indent-tabs-mode:nil %
> % indent-line-function:insert-tab %
> % End: %

There is some spurious whitespace at the end of the last line.  This
prevents the whole stanza from being processed since the suffixes do
not match.

> The problem:  latex mode and longlines do turn on and everything works
> except setting fill-column and setting the tex open/close quote
> string.  C-h v fill-column RET tells me it is set to 68 instead of
> 60.

You specified to call LaTeX mode in the local variables stanza.  This
mode will be called after `fill-column' is set and call
`kill-all-local-variables' which kills off the local value of
`fill-column'.  Solution: Set all variables in the local variables
stanza _after_ specifying the major mode.

> Stranger, is that the tex open/close quote string tells me (when
> i do C-h v) that they _are_ set correctly... yet when i acually type
> a quote in the buffer, it inserts the default tex quotes.  I am
> baffled.  Can anyone clue me in on what may be wrong?

The variables in AUCTeX are called `TeX-open-quote' and
`TeX-close-quote', not `tex-open-quote' and `tex-close-quote'.

--
Ralf