Re: xdisaster

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: xdisaster
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:33:01 +1000

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> I run Emacs 23.0.0.1 in an xterm on Ubuntu 6.10.  I was just now
> reading X manpages in M-x shell (for the first time) trying to figure
> out why CVS AUCTeX doesn't see TeX Live 2007, but now I get:
>
> matilda@bdfpj71:~$ man man
> Reformatting man(1), please wait...
> WARNING: terminal is not fully functional
> -  (press RETURN)
>
> Um, I want to twist this notebook of mine into four pieces (I've been
> stuggling with this X problem for a week), what gives??

Partially a guess. M-x shell gives you a 'dumb' terminal which does not support
the terminal addressing features required by man. M-x shell is for very simple
shell commands that do not require significant formatting of output.

To get a fully functional terminal within emacs, use M-x term. BUT....

in emacs, to read man pages, use either M-x man or M-x woman. Both have
slightly different features. I find woman great for longer and more in-depth
man reading sessions, but M-x man is great when I just want to check something
like command line switches etc.

HTH

Tim

--