Re: deleting directories.

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: deleting directories.
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 23:03:20 -0500

Livin Stephen Sharma wrote:
How can I delete a directory thru emacs
 (equivalent of "M-x delete-file")

regards
 livin.stephen

[This is GNU Emacs 22.0.97.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)]

C-x d [parent directory of the one you want to delete]
S-< or S-> to move point to line where name of directory to delete is found
[If there are files in the directory you try to delete and if dired-recursive-delete is nil, then you will get an error. ] Safer than recursive deletion is deletion of the files in the directory before removal of the directory:

navigate to directory in dired with > or < or ^ and then type
[Confirm]
^
[Confirm]

All these single keystroke commands can also be invoked from the menubar in a dired buffer. Manybe you can also run rm from a shell but I just froze emacs up by trying M-! deltree junkdir. I don't quite understand why.

Ed