Trying to add a hook to show line numbers

From: jgombos
Subject: Trying to add a hook to show line numbers
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 06:35:42 -0700 (PDT)

I have successfully installed the linum.el library, and have the following
code in .emacs:

(require 'linum)

So in order to see line numbers, I interactively enter "M-x linum".  The
same command removes line numbers when applied again (it's a toggle).  I
want the default action to be to show line numbers.  I've tried this hook:

(setq ada-mode-hook
   'lambda () 'linum))

That was just a guess at how the hook should be composed.  It didn't work.
I also tried:

(setq ada-mode-hook
   'lambda () linum))

..and..

(setq ada-mode-hook
   'lambda () (linum)))

..and..

(setq ada-mode-hook
   'linum))

There are never any errors, but the hooks simply do not trigger.