Re: Some questions of a newbie

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Some questions of a newbie
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:24:41 -0700

    Cecil> I like to have the possibility to use the clipboard, so I
    Cecil> added the following to my .emacs: (define-key global-map
    Cecil> "\C-W" 'clipboard-kill-ring-save) (define-key global-map
    Cecil> "\C-Y" 'clipboard-yank)

Rather than defining separate keys for those functions, I simply do

        (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)

So whenever I kill something in Emacs, it also goes to the clipboard;
and whenever some other app puts something on the clipboard, it's
available to be yanked in emacs with C-y.

    Cecil> For comment I see that there is sometimes used one,
    Cecil> sometimes two and sometime three ';'.  Does this has a
    Cecil> reason, or not?

Yes -- it's just a convention.  It's explained in the Emacs Lisp
Reference manual: (info "(elisp)Comment Tips")

    Cecil> Is there a good way to find which keybindings are used, so
    Cecil> a free one can be coupled to a macro?

Yes -- do C-h m in a buffer that's in the mode you're interested in.
(If you're considering a global binding as opposed to a mode-specific
one, choose a buffer that's in fundamental-mode).

    Cecil> In my .emacs I have: (setq ediff-use-toolbar-p nil)
    Cecil> But the toolbar is still displayed.  What am I doing wrong?

No idea.

    Cecil> I added org-mode and nxml-mode.  The first uses:
    Cecil> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org$" .  org-mode)) the
    Cecil> second uses: (setq auto-mode-alist (cons
    Cecil> '("\\.\\(xml\\|xsl\\|rng\\|xhtml\\)\\'" .  nxml-mode)
    Cecil> auto-mode-alist))

    Cecil> Is there a reason for this, or is it just what the creator
    Cecil> liked?

Mostly the latter.  I prefer the add-to-list form, since it's simpler.

    Cecil> If the second is the reason, then I prefer the first way
    Cecil> and will change the way of nxml.

Great minds think alike :-)