Re: Go to line

From: Robert D. Crawford
Subject: Re: Go to line
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 10:13:42 -0500

PAolo <paolopantaleo@gmail.com> writes:

> is there some faster way to go to a certain line, rather than
> M-x goto-line ?

Retrieved via C-h a goto-line:

goto-line                      <menu-bar> <edit> <goto> <go-to-line> ,  meta g
meta g ,  meta g g
  Command: Goto line ARG, counting from line 1 at beginning of buffer.

I am not sure if there was a change between versions, but I am using the
cvs version

GNU Emacs 22.0.98.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) of 2007-04-17 on t40

> Can I specify a line number when I open a file with C-x C-f?

Retrieved via C-h k C-x C-f

 control x control f  runs the command find-file
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
It is bound to  <open> ,  control x control f ,  <menu-bar> <file> <new-file> .
(find-file FILENAME &optional WILDCARDS)

Edit file FILENAME.
Switch to a buffer visiting file FILENAME,
creating one if none already exists.
Interactively, the default if you just type RET is the current directory,
but the visited file name is available through the minibuffer history:
type M-n to pull it into the minibuffer.

Interactively, or if WILDCARDS is non-nil in a call from Lisp,
expand wildcards (if any) and visit multiple files.  You can
suppress wildcard expansion by setting `find-file-wildcards' to nil.

To visit a file without any kind of conversion and without
automatically choosing a major mode, use M-x find-file-literally.

rdc
--
Robert D. Crawford                                      rdc1x@comcast.net

Some men are so interested in their wives' continued happiness that they
hire detectives to find out the reason for it.