Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: spell checking on MS Windows: myspell?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:13:21 +0300

> From: Peter Tury <tury.peter@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 12:18:55 GMT
>
> how do you spell check on MS Windows? I googled a bit (also this
> newsgroup) but didn't find an obvious solution. It seems for me I
> would need a spell checker .exe (ispell.exe?) and an emacs interface
> (ispell.el?) for it. The latter is part of my GNU Emacs v22. How to
> get the first one?

You can find a precompiled Windows binary of Ispell and many
dictionaries here:

   http://www.luziusschneider.com/Speller/English/

> Another relted question: can myspell be used with Emacs smoothly? I
> saw a project what made myspell and dictionaries especially good for
> my language (Hungarian), so maybe I will need myspell.

You probably mean Hunspell (a derfivative of myspell), not myspell.

The above URL includes a Hungarian dictionary.  If that is not good
enough, I suggest to try aspell, as someone else suggested.

> As far as I
> know myspell is part of OpenOfficeXXX so hopefully it is not too hard
> to get myspell precompiled binaries. What about an Emacs interface? I
> couldn't found myspell.el. Will ispell.el work with it?

No, I don't think ispell.el will work with myspell without some
tinkering.