Re: Another dumb elisp query ?? -- SOLVED

From: William Case
Subject: Re: Another dumb elisp query ?? -- SOLVED
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:45:31 -0400

On Fri, 2007-04-27 at 14:15 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> In the tutorial I am using I have come to the TAGS file compilation
> part.  Following the instructions in the Tutorial and the Info Manual as
> well as digesting the process has not been difficult.
>
> What I want to check is where to create the TAGS file.  I know I would
> want to put a TAGS file in a directory were I am building a project in
> the future but.. where should I put the TAGS file for emacs itself.  The
> Tutorial and Manual only ambiguously say: "in the appropriate directory"
> then give me suggestions for directories I and emacs don't use.  Plus
> they make reference to source files which don't seem to exist
> separately.  (I can download them if need be.)
>
> I do have '/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/emacs-lisp/' and
> '/usr/share/emacs/21.4/lisp/' that contain my *.el (text) files.  Would
> it be normal practice to compile TAGS files in those two directories?

Once I was shown by a friend that etags is a system command, or at least
a command executed by the system, the question of TAGS placement became
clear.  I didn't matter; probably everyone has their emacs and lisp TAGS
in a different place.  I ended up putting it in a personal general emacs
folder I use for practice and/or testing.

If someone has a better idea let me know please.

--
Regards Bill