dired renaming files: replacing mutliple whitespaces with underscores

From: Patrick Drechsler
Subject: dired renaming files: replacing mutliple whitespaces with underscores
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:27:48 +0200

Hi,

could somebody point me in the right direction on replacing multiple
whitespaces in filenames with underscores using dired?

% m \(.*[ ].*\)+\..+ RET  ; mark all files with spaces
% R [ ] RET _ RET         ; replace space with underscore

The drawback is that one has to repeat this many times for file names
wich have multiple whitespaces.

Is there better way of doing this with dired (or dired-x, dired+)?

TIA

Patrick

BTW: I'm using Emacs23 from CVS.
--
Snoopy: My life has no purpose. My life has no direction, no aim, no
meaning. And yet I'm happy. I can't figure it out! What am I doing