Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: Andy
Subject: Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: 14 May 2007 11:07:40 -0700

On May 14, 12:07 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Andy wrote:
> >  I had to set another couple of
> > options to get it to treat the selected text as "pending delete" too.
>
> I do that with query-replace.
>
> > I just wish there was a handy way to select a word or phrase in the
> > code and then search for other occurrences of it, with minimal
> > additional typing. There probably is, but I just don't know it yet!
>
> Like most tasks, it's easy once you know how to do it :)
>
> C-s
>
> Then type enough letters to see the instances light up.
>
> C-s again to jump to the next instance, etc.
>
>      -- Mike Treseler

Mike,

Thanks, but I already know how to use C-s (that's what I end up
using). Unfortunately, it still requires me to type the word (or
enough of it to be sufficiently unique) to start the search. I was
looking for something that allows me to select an existing word,
usually a port or signal/variable name (with mouse or keyboard), and
search for other occurrences of that word. Typing the entire word gets
tedious when using long names with specific suffixes, which require
that virtually the entire name be re-typed. When in I-search (C-s), a
C-v (paste) does not act like I typed it, but actually inserts the
copy buffer at the cursor location. It's like the C-v operation
overrides the fact that one is already in I-search mode.

Andy