Re: Open Firefox from Emacs on MacOSX

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Open Firefox from Emacs on MacOSX
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 00:42:07 +0200

Am 15.05.2007 um 23:11 schrieb Joost Kremers:

Stefan Nobis wrote:
This doesn't work. I read that Firefox on Windows doesn't support the
-remote option and it seems, this is the case on MacOSX, too. Is this
assumption right and has anyone an idea how to workaround this

not a solution, but perhaps a hint that may help in finding one: on my
linux box, firefox (version doesn't require the -remote option
anymore. i can type 'firefox <some_url>' in a terminal window, and the
running instance of firefox will open <some_url> in a new tab. i'd find it
weird if that didn't work on OS X.

The trick on Mac OS X seems to be to use the *real* files inside the application bundle.

When Firefox is /Applications/ in the HFS+ file system, then it has s Bourne shell script that accepts arguments like in:

        /Applications/ http://some.where

Usually one would try

        open -a /Applications/ [-remote] http://some.where

but this seems to fail because Apple's Launch Services take particularly the URL very serious and pass it to the *default* application for this kind of object, maybe Safari, or whatever has been set as default browser for the object type "URL."

Mit friedvollen Grüßen

"Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?"
                                            - Tom Stoppard