Re: Copy things out of Emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Copy things out of Emacs
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 15:08:57 +1000

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Subject: Re: Copy things out of Emacs
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>    As the unicode branch is still under active development and given the
> likely
>    impact of the changes in that branch, I suspect you will find many packages
>    that don't quite work correctly. Changing something as large as emacs to
> use
>    unicode is not trivial and there are many emacs packages that have been
> written
>    with the assumption of character sets being single byte etc.
>
> Would you mind explaining what is required for a package to be
> fully functionnal (even) with the GNU Emacs Unicode branch ? I do
> not see what we should change in our packages to make them working.

Perhaps I should have been clearer and I'm not sure there is anything else to
be done that isn't already been done. In the past, I have encountered packages
which have made assumptions regarding character sets and encodings. There have
been reports in this group and other lists/groups of people having problems
with things like search/replace that appear specific to the coding system being
used etc. I should clarify that most, if not all, the packages I've encountered
with tese sorts of problems have not been packages that are part of GNU Emacs,
but rather add-on packatges written by others and possibly not actively
maintained.

My point wasn't that things are not being done as well as they could, but
merely that if you are using a development branch that is working on something
as fundamental as the character encoding support, it is likely there are going
to be issues with some packages.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au