Re: compiling emacs using cygwin

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: compiling emacs using cygwin
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 13:35:12 -0700

I've found building Emacs on Windows to be difficult, although I've
written down what works on
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingOnWindowsTableofContents.

You seem to be trying to build a "native Windows" binary, as opposed
to a Cygwin binary.  Is that right?  If so, I suggest you use MingW
and follow the instructions at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/BuildingCvsWThirtyTwoMingw -- it
works for me.  If that fails, you can always try getting a pre-built
binary from
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ntemacs/ntemacs22-bin-20070102.exe?download
-- it's a few months old but the binaries at that site have always
worked fine for me.

If you want to build a Cygwin binary, install gcc 4 from source (yes,
that's a pain, but it works "out of the box") and then build Emacs
with the usual Unix-style "./configure; make" (i.e., use ./configure
instead of nt/configure.bat).
--
Keaton, Chaplin, Garbo - let them now make room for Gromit.
        A. O. Scott, in The New York Times