Re: NTEmacs + plink

From: poti
Subject: Re: NTEmacs + plink
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:39:51 -0400

On 12:50 Wed 13 Jun     , Michael Albinus wrote:
> poti@potis.org writes:
> > Adding
> > (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
> >          '("host\\.org#3322" nil "/plink:me@my.host.org#3322:"))
> >
> > (with or without the port numbers) to _emacs causes
> > /plink:me@host.org#3322:/home/me/realfile.txt
> > to get as far as
> > Tramp: Opening connection for me@host.org#3322 using plink
> > before hanging emacs in a similar way (waited more than 6 minutes to
> > be sure).
>
> That is Tramp 2.1.
>
> Which Tramp version are you using? I thought 2.1.9?
Yes, it is 2.1.9.

> > I have the following in _emacs, and the startup sequence echoes the load
> > command, so it is being read:
> >
> > (add-to-list 'load-path "C:/tramp/lisp")
> > (load "C:/tramp/lisp/tramp.el")
> > (setq tramp-default-method "plink")
> >
> > (nconc (cadr (assq 'tramp-login-args (assoc "plink" tramp-methods)))
> >        '(("bash" "-i")))
> >        (setcdr (assq 'tramp-remote-sh (assoc "plink" tramp-methods))
> >             '("bash -i"))
>
> I don't know whether it is a good idea to set bash. Why do you need it?
My login shell is bash. Without this, I do not get past the opening
connection prompt.

> >     (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
> >     (setq tramp-verbose 10)
>
> That's good. In the debug buffer, you might see what Tramp is
> doing. Al the chatting with the remote host. Did you check it?
> Otherwise, you could send the debug buffer for more investigations.
I am working on this. Given that Emacs is locking up, I need to
find something for tramp to do so I can have the buffer up in anticipation
of the freeze. See more bellow though.

> > Symbol's value as variable is void: tramp-gw-tunnel-method
> > this is true on OSX emacs 22.0.52.1 as well as Gentoo x86 Emacs 21.4.1.
>
> Yes, gateway methods work (as of today) only with Emacs 22.1. I didn't
> hide the respective variables properly, fixed in CVS meanwhile. But
> this is hopefully a warning only?
On OSX, Make failed, but ./configure only had warnings. After running
configure, the warning and problem went away. Now I can get through,
including directory listings, provided I used authorized_keys. I have
different passwords on the two hops and cannot get to the second hop
using passwords. Looking through the long debug output, I see that after
the successful first hop there appears to be a process that is repeated
ten times. Here is the line I was watching for to count 10:

16:10:00 tramp-accept-process-output (10) # *tramp/ssh me@second.hop.org* run

This was followed variously by blanks or the prompt from the first hop on the
next line, but the last two were apparently the standard

Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).^M

I can send details here or off list if this is useful.

Thank you for your patient help. Seeing a successful multi-hop
connection helps me a lot on working out the problems in Windows,
which remain and which I will return to after a break.

-Poti