Linux newbe

From: Charles Goodrich
Subject: Linux newbe
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 22:47:31 -0400

I have used emacs running under windows for years but have found a couple of behaviors under Linux (ubuntu) that I am unable to understand or change.  First,  I am used to black letters on a white background, but the Linux version shows white letters on black background and there seems to be no way to change it.  (I tried help (info pages) on reverse video or inverse video) used all manner of setq's - nothing changes.
Second,  the clipboard.  Under windows I could transfer text from the kill ring to another program - say Firefox.  But with Linux, I can set the mark and point meta-w all i want and nothing shows up that can be "pasted" to Firefox.
Can anyone help??
-Charlie Goodrich.