Re: about xhtml-mode encoding problem

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: about xhtml-mode encoding problem
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:41:20 +0200

lu@luxdo.jp wrote:
Thanks, that was why I asked you which major modes you are using.

nxhtml-mode is derived from nxml-mode and I think it handles coding systems a bit differently. Look at write-contents-functions in the buffer. I think it contains nxml-prepare-to-save. That function tries to get the coding system to use from the XML header if the coding system has not been specified explicitly for the buffer through buffer-file-coding-system.

Is there an XML header in the buffer in your case? What coding system does it specify?

I'm Sorry to reply late.

No problem, I just wondered if you noticed my reply.

Is there an XML header in the buffer in your case? What coding system does it specify?

I don't know what's the meaning.

From the pictures you sent me it looks like your pages are HTML, not XHTML. Is there any reason for you to use HTML instead of the new and in many ways better XHTML?

The header in XHTML could look something like this

          "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title>News and Notes about nXhtml</title>
<link href="wd/grapes/nxhtml-grapes.css" rel="StyleSheet" type="text/css" />
  </head>

As you can see you can specify the encoding there. The corresponding Emacs encoding will be used when saving the file if you are using nxhtml-mode (or nxml-mode).

nxhtml-mode is for editing XHTML, not HTML. That is why have had some trouble here.

However the package (nXhtml) you download to get nxhtml-mode includes more than just nxhtml-mode. The part that is interesting for you is mumamo-mode which can handle JSP in both HTML and XHTML. If you have followed the installation instructions for nXhtml then mumamo-mode is used for this, but it assumes that the .jsp files are XHTML.

If you really want to use HTML then you could customize mumamo-filenames-list. By default the MuMaMo chunk family for .jsp files is "JSP nXhtml Family". You could change that to "JSP HTML Family".