Re: predictive mode and 'ã'

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: predictive mode and 'ã'
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:14:07 +0200

> I'm trying to start using predictive and have this annoying problem.
> It looks like predictive considers portuguese characters like ã or ó
> as end-of-word characters (I have to type them pressing ~ then a,
> maybe that's a problem?)
>
> Here's the situation: when I type 'n', predictive suggests '(0) nil'.
> If I continue typing 'não' , I end up getting 'nilão'. The nil is
> inserted...

I haven't used predictive mode yet, so I can't comment on that. But
the usual way emacs determines if some character belongs to a word or
not is by syntax tables; these tables are mode-specific. When I put
point on the letter `ã', `C-u C-x =' gives me some information about
the character (I'm using GNU Emacs 22), and it says that it's syntax
is "w which means: word".

What emacs are you using, and what mode are you in? Does M-f
(forward-word) and M-b (backward-word) stop at accented characters?
Maybe you can do something about it by fiddling with the syntax
table (look them up in the elisp manual).

HTH,

Anselm