Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:45:21 -0400

>>> Today I tried vim 7.1,It have native language menu.
>>> Why emacs only have English menu?

Because nobody has gone through the trouble of adding localization yet.
As for why, I would guess it's a mix of difficulty (need someone who
understand enough of Emacs and of localization to deal with it both at the
C and the Lisp level), together with the fact that it's bound to stay
partial:
- many elements are sufficiently dynamic that it's going to be
  difficult to add support to translate them.
- an important side of Emacs is that it exposes a lot of its internals: many
  important commands are reached via M-x where the term you enter is the
  name of a function (i.e. not quite a string), and all the online help
  refers to those things as well.

Still, it's quite doable.  The only difficulty is to have the courage to
start with something small and convince other people that it's worthwhile to
go down that road.

        Stefan