Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:10:41 +0200

Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

> Jean-Christophe Helary <fusion@mx6.tiki.ne.jp> writes:
>> [...]
>> That is a possibility but obviously there are much more Japanese or
>> French people who use their software now than then.
>
> Yes, applications.
>

>> What good is a software package if it can't be used by linguistically
>> challenged people ?
>
> Linguistically challenged people just cannot program.

What has "program" got to do with Emacs, even if you are totally
incorrect in your assumption. I know plenty of top notch programmers who
are unable to master french or german but are happy with their native
english.

> You cannot translate programming languages.  This has been tried
> several times, BEFORE the Internet existed (eg BASICOIS, a Basic in
> French, there was also a Pascal in French, and I bet a number of
> variations in other languages).  All these experiment failed, because
> programs must be readable to be useful, and French is readably only by
> French people.  Pascal is readable by all programmers!

Aha. OK. You are talking about localised lisp? Maybe I got lost here.

> Nowadays, with the Internet and the worldwide job market, it's just
> impossible to translate a programming language.  And this is what
> emacs is.

No. That is NOT what emacs is. eLisp is the programming language. Emacs
is an infrastructure which supports multiple applications programmed in
elisp. They can be localised.

> Now if you implement an application in emacs you may try to proposed
> localized versions.  But there are very few applications in emacs,
> most emacs software keeps the powerful link between the programming
> environment and the functionalities provided.  Does anybody know an
> emacs applications where you can do _everything_ only using menus and
> buttons?  Or where you would _want_ to do everything that way?

I think people are possibly talking at cross purposes here. Or maybe
just me?