Re: emacsserver unstable?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: emacsserver unstable?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 22:22:58 +0200

Am 24.07.2007 um 21:08 schrieb Sven Bretfeld:

There are two softlinks pointing to this executable:

Softlinks are found in men's trousers. You probably mean symbolic links ...

sven@kamaloka:/usr/bin$ ps aux | grep emacsclient

There are more options to ps. Some can make ps to display the path name of a command, or the environment in which the command runs. From the listed PATH value you can determine which file 'command' is.

Have you thought of a ps alias like: 'ps <options> | egrep UID\|!:1 | grep -v grep' for (t)csh or 'ps <options> | egrep UID\|${1} | grep -v grep' ?

Do you have LD_LIBRARY or such environment variables set? Could be
they have in an interactive session a different effect than in tool
launched by so gadgetry. lsof can exactly show which shared library
files are used in some process.

Hm. At least not in my .bashrc. I'm not familiar with libraries,
sorry. The only help I knew after Google returned unintelligible
information on LD_LIBRARY, was to search for it with apt-utils-search,
to find out that none of the resulting packages is installed on my
system.

Again, ps -e or such would show the process environment in which command runs – can be a few thousand columns wide!

lsof is a nice tool. It can be used as 'lsof emacs' or 'lsof -p <pid>'

By the way, the emacsserver seems to die only when it has no
clients.

The communication works over a "socket" in the /tmp tree (lsof should list it). Have you set network layer to close a socket after some time? Or is there a cron job running that removes everything elder than a few minutes from the /tmp tree?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
                              -- Tony-A (some guy on /.)