Re: tramp with socksify

From: Fabian Braennstroem
Subject: Re: tramp with socksify
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:41:27 +0000

Hi Michael,

Michael Albinus schrieb am 08/02/2007 10:22 PM:
> Fabian Braennstroem <address@hidden> writes:
>> It sounds that it would be possible ... unfortunately the part about
>> the gateway methods is not
>> as informative as the others, at least I don't get a clue reading it
>> and google does not help with socksify, telnet
>> and tramp!?
> OK let's try it together. Maybe we can find out in parallel how the
> documentation can be approved.

It is probably my fault, I have never heard anything about socksify...

> Assume you will connect to via telnet. Your socksv5
> server is (in fact I don't know neither the
> host name nor the port number of their socksv5 server, it is just a
> guess).
> You need to declare the socksv5 server as proxy:
> (add-to-list 'tramp-default-proxies-alist
>              (list "" nil
> "/"))
> Then you can connect to simply via
> "".

Maybe I forgot to say, that I use:

socksify telnet -l USERNAME IPaddress portnumber

to connect to the other machine on the terminal. I would assume that
the IPaddress is the socksv server...
I am not able to check right now, because I just started my holidays
for the next two weeks ... than I will check out more.