RE: How to search all open buffers?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to search all open buffers?
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:32:43 -0700

> Hi.  What's the Emacs command to search for a string in all the
> open buffers?  (I've searched the docs for a long time without
> success, but I imagine it has to be in there somewhere...)

In Icicles, you do C-u 1 C-c ` and then either pick the buffers you want
(using C-mouse-2) or hit C-! to search them all.

C-c ` is `icicle-search'.  A positive numeric prefix arg tells it to search
multiple buffers. C-! acts on all buffers whose names match your input. If
you type nothing, then it acts on all open buffers.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Commands%2c_Overview#
SearchMultipleBuffersFilesAndRegions