Re: Emacs 22 and slrn

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 and slrn
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:48:57 +0200

Will Parsons wrote:
I use the slrn newsreader on Windows XP to read newsgroups and have
configured it to use Emacs for the editor to use when posting messages.
The following has been working fine in the slrn configuration file:

set editor_command "c:/emacs-21.3/bin/emacs +%d %s"

This causes a separate invocation of Emacs to be created (I usually have
another long-term Emacs session already started), and after closing out the
session returns to slrn where the message is posted.

Now I'm trying to transition to Emacs 22, but using:

set editor_command "c:/emacs-22.1/bin/emacs +%d %s"

doesn't work.  What happens is that an instance of Emacs is created but
hangs with an hourglass.  Ctrl-g has no effect, and I am forced to close it
forcefully from Windows.  I've looked thru the Emacs News for Emacs 22 but
don't see any obvious change in the startup to account for for this.  Any
ideas?

I have no answer to this, but why are you invoking a new instance of Emacs instead of using Emacs client?