Re: finding the face of a popup

From: Allan Gottlieb
Subject: Re: finding the face of a popup
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:30:42 -0400

At Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:26:40 +0200 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 29.08.2007 um 16:22 schrieb Allan Gottlieb:
>
>> I believe that the description of a face given by placing point
>> over a field and typing C-u C-x = should tell you
>> the face of a popup that is triggered when the mouse is over that
>> field.
>
> The tooltips exist inside their own frames. Typing C-u C-x = on some
> thing that can make a tooltip appear could additionally display
> information about the tooltip, but: there is only one kind of
> tooltips. So it would mostly be useless information.

Sure.  But you knew that the name of the face was tooltip; that is
exactly the information I didn't know (actually, forgot).  I guess I
am not expressing this very clearly.

Case 1. *Every* time emacs pops up something in this manner, the popup
has face `tooltip'.

Soln 1. Ensure that users know this.  It is doubtless in the manual,
but might be hard to find if you didn't know it was a tooltip.
I agree that I should have known since `tooltip' is hardly a term that
emacs invented.

Case 2. Popups occur for several reasons, some with different faces
than others.

Soln 2. Something along the lines I mentioned above that you quoted.
That is, if there is a source/cause/trigger of the popup, then face of
the popup could be mentioned when one asks for the face of the
trigger.  The quote of mine you gave was in response to eli's request
for a possible UI.

allan