Re: emacsclientw not working

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclientw not working
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:54:54 +0200

On 9/20/07, Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> wrote:

> However, when I run emacsclientw on a file, I get the following:
> ---------
> emacsclient: No socket or alternate editor.  Please use:
>
>         --server-file      (or environment variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE)
>         --alternate-editor (or environment variable ALTERNATE_EDITOR)
> ---------

server.el creates a file with information that emacsclient needs. By
default that place is ~/.emacs.d/server and the file name is "server"
(both can be modified).

Try doing:

 C:\> SET EMACS_SERVER_FILE=%HOME%\.emacs.d\server\server
 C:\> emacsclient MY_FILE

or

 C:\> emacsclient --server-file=%HOME%\.emacs.d\server\server MY_FILE

(with %HOME% pointing to Emacs' home dir, of course).

             Juanma