Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Tom Horsley
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 05:51:21 -0500

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 22:31:25 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:

>> I've always wished each emacs release would come with a doc file
>> mentioning each new feature and giving the lisp code to add to your
>> .emacs file to put it back the way it was in the previous release.
>
> f1 C-n

Yea, I been there. It can be helpful, but doesn't often go
into detail on how to disable the new features, it mostly
just mentions what they are. Going through the ones I have
found, I see comint-scroll-show-maximum-output isn't mentioned
in NEWS, yet I had to set it to make shell mode buffers behave
sanely again. It does mention mouse-highlight, but doesn't
mention that comint mode enables it it various annoying ways,
so getting it turned off was a bit of a hassle requiring a
new comint-mode-hook. It mentions grep highlighting, but
turning it off was another challenge involving not only
highlight settings, but diddling the arguments it passes
to grep. I've been able to win the death struggle eventually
most of the time, but it sometimes seems like playing
a computer game :-).