Re: How to Get a Font Loaded Automatically on Start Up

From: Steven L.
Subject: Re: How to Get a Font Loaded Automatically on Start Up
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:13:17 -0400

kvnsmnsn@hotmail.com wrote:
When I bring up an Emacs window I can click on <Options>, select
<Set Font/Fontset...> from the menu, and then select <Courier > 10> to
get precisely the font I want.  But I have to do this every time I
bring up an Emacs window.  Is there something I can put in my ".emacs"
file that will do this automatically for me every time I bring up an
Emacs window?

The function that I use is "custom-set-faces"
But you don't even have to code it yourself in your .emacs file.

You can use the Edit Options... feature. Find the Basic Faces customization group, set the font and fontsize to whatever you want, and then select State:Save for future sessions. That will append a call to "custom-set-faces" to your .emacs file, so that it will be invoked the next time you start emacs.

BTW, when you change the fontsize and font, you may also want to change the default size of the window that comes up too. I use a big fontsize of 120 (my eyes aren't what they used to be), so I have to make the window have fewer characters. In my .emacs file I added

(set-frame-parameter nil 'height 34)
(set-frame-parameter nil 'width 84)

to make emacs come up in a 34 x 84 window every time.

--
Steven L.
Email:  sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net