Re: keybinding mystery

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: keybinding mystery
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 11:40:41 +0200

Gordon Beaton <n.o.t@for.email> writes:

Hi Gordon,

> I map ctrl-= to a function like this:
>
>  (global-set-key [(ctrl =)] 'gb-match-paren)

I'd recommend using (kbd "C-=") instead of [(ctrl =)].  It looks clearer
because it uses the format emacs uses for printing keybindings, too.
But that doesn't have anything to do with your problem, both forms are
equivalent.

> This works fine, unless I run "emacs -nw".
>
> However If I run "emacs -nw" (or "emacs -nw -q --no-site-file"), this
> key combination inserts "=" into my text. describe-key seems to
> confirm that "ctrl" is lost:

Yes, various bindings are not available inside terminals.  It's a
terminal limitation, not an emacs one.

> How should I bind this key to my function so that it works in both
> cases?

Generally speaking, all keys like C-X where X is a alphabetical or
numerical letter should work in both cases.

Bye,
Tassilo