Re: starting emacs remote doesn't load .emacs

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: starting emacs remote doesn't load .emacs
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:43:07 +1000

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> writes:
>
>> Stefan Horomnea <stefan@softexperience.ro> writes:
>
>> 3. If you are running emacs 22, you iwll have tramp installed. tramp will
>>    allow you to easily edit files owned by root or execute commands as
>>    root. Use this rather than running emacs as root.
>
> To open a file, use /su::<filename>
>
> To use dired in root mode /su::/directory
>
> Then get out of root mode as soon as possible (we're telling you this
> because we've made mistakes ourselves --- well, at least I have).

Hehehe. Night before end of year meeting with my supervisor. Noticed a
package I'd installed that I no longer wanted. Cd to the root of the
package dir and entered rm -rf *. Sitting there, quite tired and not paying
careful attention. Noticed lines coming up about not being able to delete
from a read only device. thinking, thats strange. why would I see those
messages?

then it hit me. I was still logged in as root. The cd had left me at the /
dir, so rm -rf * was deleteing my whole file system. The messages were a
result of trying to delete files from my cdrom.

My partner gets very worried as I walk into the lounge room, sit down and
just laugh in a disturbing manic way.

Worst part, I already knew it was a bad idea to run as root when not
necessary. However, I thought I knew what I was doing and would be careful
enough - after all, I had been working as a sys admin for a number of years
and was pretty experienced.

Two lessons learnt - never run as root unless you have to and be careful of
the over confidence and arrogance that can come with experience!

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au