Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?
Date: 18 Oct 2007 15:11:47 -0400

I can't imagine how you'd figure out usable numbers of
users. Emacs is a free program as and such is copied and
recopied from machine to machine. How hard would it be to
download one copy and then put it on 5,000 machines? The
server with the original copy would only count one download.

I do remember that the owner of O'Reilly Publishing says his
Vi book outsells the Emacs book two to one. But I also
understand that he says that Emacs' built-in tutorial may
affect those numbers.

I'm the only one I know personally who uses Emacs, but I'm a
writer, not a programmer. The only other person I know that
used to use it is a nephew. But he works as a programmer and
told me that peer-pressure forced him to go to Vi.

Not much help.

--Rod
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for
Practical
Consumers" and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." To reply by
e-mail
take the second "o" out of the e-mail address.