Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?

From: weber
Subject: Re: How big is the "niche" of Emacs users?
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:40:42 -0000

On Oct 18, 4:54 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> roodwri...@ureach.com wrote:
> > I'm the only one I know personally who uses Emacs, but I'm a
> > writer, not a programmer. The only other person I know that
> > used to use it is a nephew. But he works as a programmer and
> > told me that peer-pressure forced him to go to Vi.
>
> Tell your poor nephew that he can use Emacs Viper mode.
>
> > Not much help.

I also do not know anyone in person that uses emacs..
There are a bunch of VI users though, the Linux crowd. I guess it's
because when you first meet Linux you use VI to edit the configuration
files (because it's always there) and then it just sticks.. people
don't go looking for something better (or different). The most skilled
Ultraedit users are those who use Column-mode and maybe search-replace
(once a day).

"Look, my editor has generated the headers. Yeah, i just coded it..."
"Look, these window shows matches on all buffers. I can just move with
n/p and they show on the other window..."
"Look, I can just send code to the lua process with C-x C-e"

The following kind of dialog is also common:
"Coworker: Ok, can you go back to somefile.x ?"
"Me: Yeah"
"Coworker: What is that?"
"Me: somefile.x"
"Coworker: Oh, ok, I didn't saw you switching"

I love emacs.

-Weber