Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Easy way to rename files sequentially?
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:27:25 -0600

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 04:17:03 GMT cothrige <cothrige@yahoo.com> wrote:

c> Do you mean Control-Meta-% (Control-Alt-%)?  If so, then how does one
c> accomplish that keystroke?  It seems to me to be the equivalent of
c> Control-Alt-Shift-5, and that doesn't seem to work for me (and seems
c> impossible for me to even do with only two hands).  How am I
c> misreading this?

Don't you know you're supposed to use your nose? :)

http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/q/quadruplebucky.html

As a side note, while wdired is excellent and so is the advice you've
received, I should point out the mmv utility which does this kind of
renaming easily from the command line, and the analogous Z Shell zmv
function.

Ted