Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:24:40 +0100

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Hi to all
>
> I'm trying to help a friend to set up Gnus. We have problems with
> outgoing mail. A toggle-debug-on-error doesn't say very much:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
>  signal(error ("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error"))
>  error("Sending failed; SMTP protocol error")
>  smtpmail-send-it()
>  gnus-agent-send-mail()
>  message-send-mail(nil)
>  message-send-via-mail(nil)
>  message-send(nil)
>  message-send-and-exit(nil)
> * call-interactively(message-send-and-exit)
>
> The settings in .gnus.el are correct as far as I can say:
>
> (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.gmx.net")
>  (setq user-full-name "Stjepan Beles")
>  (setq user-mail-address "b.stjepan@gmx.de")
>  (setq message-send-mail-real-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>
>  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>   '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))
>
> I've tested the same settings with my own GMX account on my machine,
> and it works. mail.gmx.net doesn't require TLS. We both use Debian
> Etch.
>
> How can we get a more telling log? Can any external program produce
> the difficulties (Emacs doesn't make use of the system's MTA, right?).
> Could we have forgotten to install anything?
>
> I'm sorry to ask such a diffuse question. But I'm not physically in
> front of his machine. We communicate via Email. And he is still a
> beginner with Emacs and GNU/Linux, so he cannot ask himself.
>
> Thanks for help

Hi, if you write

 (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
  '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))

that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set
mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net"
must be the adress of an smtp server.

if you don't use starttls, just write:

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.yourProvider.net")

this will use by default port 25 without password

And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed
(i use nbsmtp)

--
A+ Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu