Re: emacs changed file's own user and file permission

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: emacs changed file's own user and file permission
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 10:26:55 -0800 (PST)

The general question here, in our context, that we are debating, in
more specific terms, is this: Is it reasonable, to say that Apple
_choose_ a _unix_ based OS for their next generation of OS today known
as Mac OS X. (by the phrase "choose unix", it is with the implication
that Apple considers unix a good technology in 1996)

If you agree that the above statement is what we are discussing, then
i think you would agree with my answer of no. Otherwise, i can further
expend educational efort if you have worthy questions. But if you do
not agree that the above is what we are debating, then, perhaps you
can put forth the question or paraphrase, then we, or i, may voice our
opinion on what we think.

          *          *          *
Xah wrote:
「Apple didn't seek out a unix or unix-like OS when it went looking to
buy a modern OS to replace their out-of-date Mac OS (Classic). Apple,
as a business decision, happened to have bought a OS that happens to
be unix-like.」

Joe wrote:
「Happens to be?  How often do carefully designed things (NEXTSTEP)
just happen to incorporate pieces of other designed things (BSD and
Mach)?」

You need to understand what is meant by unix. In general, the quality
of understanding and interpretation of phrases is part of knowledge
academically taught in areas of philosophy, literature, social
sciences. So, in general, if you studied a lot philosophy, literature,
or social science subjects, then you are good or better. Otherwise,
you do bad.

To be specific, the term "unix" can be understood or interpreted in
many contexts. Legal, political, social, technical, are the broad
categories. Each aspect of consideration does not garantee us a
unique, unambiguous, definition of what is meant by "unix".

          *          *          *

Now, suppose, Microsoft went bankrupt tomorrow and the court orders
that MS Windows and all MS software products are now public domain.
Now, to the Opensource and unix morons, there is a big question
whether we should use it.
On one hand, it's a god-sent JOY. On the other, the tale-telling
overnight obsolescence of unixes might reveal what a hypocrite the
unixers've been in the past decades.

What can we do??????

Don't worry. MS Windows, is unix too. (you the reader, do the home
work and supply the reasons here)

Further readings:

* The Unix Pestilence
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html