Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Can Emacs beat NetBeans or Eclipse?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 14:29:10 -0700

>> Eclipse also has some nice team features.  You can check in various
>> project files and anyone who checks out the project will automatically
>> get the right indentation settings, language compliance settings,
>> build paths, etc.  Emacs doesn't have anything like this built in; and
>> generally Emacs doesn't really have a "project" concept the way
>> Eclipse does (this is both a strength and a weakness of Eclipse).

Mark> While I don't remember all the variables off the top of my head
Mark> here is what I would do for 'team' editing in Emacs:

Mark> %%% Local Variables:
[..]

Yeah... except you have to do this for every file.  And, you can't
make a "new file skeleton" this way -- in Classpath we used this to
insert GPL headers and the like automatically.  This problem applies
to any setting which is attached to the "project" and not necessarily
to a particular file.  Also, if you decide to change a setting... ugh,
you have to edit every file.

So, it really isn't the same.

FWIW I have a patch to Emacs that adds this sort of functionality.  I
need to address the last round of critique before it can go in,
though... I've been slacking on that.

Don't get me wrong here -- I love Emacs and I want it to excel.  As
part of this I think it is important to recognize what is good about
other environments and try to adopt the things that make sense.
That's why I wrote the project-settings code :-).  I suppose if I had
a lot of time and was still doing a lot of Java work, I'd look at
bringing the Eclipse compiler technology over as well.

Tom