Re: Mac Apple/Command key on linux (or even just "Command-key in emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Mac Apple/Command key on linux (or even just "Command-key in emacs on linux")
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 04:48:43 -0800 (PST)

if i understand you correctly... you want to use your mac to connect
to a remote linux server (using the local terminal app), and invoke
the remote emacs in the terminal?

in that case, i don't think remaping keys on the linux or rebinding
keys within the remote emacs is what you want.

i think to achieve what you want, is probably to remap the key on your
mac or terminal app.

I have written several articles on this... i think it'll be helpful:

★ How To Avoid The Emacs Pinky Problem
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_pinky.html

★ A Ergonomic Keyboard Shortcut Layout
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

The above 2 are general advices. Following are some essays that
address how to remap keys:

★ Mac OS X Keybinding
 http://xahlee.org/emacs/osx_keybinding.html
(this shows you the system-wide general mechanism on remaping keys on
mac os x.)

★ How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts in Emacs
http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

★ How to Swap Modifier Keys on OS X
http://xahlee.org/emacs/osx_swapping_modifier_keys.html

I think the last one is really what you need.

But if you really want is swapping modifier keys on a linux machine,
your solution is xmodmap. I'm guessing there's GUI buildin in most
linuxes that does this... but if not, you can “man xmodmap” or see a
sample file here
http://xahlee.org/PageTwo_dir/Personal_dir/dvorakKeymap.txt

there are lots resoures on the web about how to use xmodmap.
e.g. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/MovingTheCtrlKey

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/