Re: Beginning Hobbyist Programmer Question

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: Re: Beginning Hobbyist Programmer Question
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:10:18 -0800

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:24:04 +0200
Sebastian Tennant <sebyte@smolny.plus.com> wrote:

> Quoth signups17@gmail.com:
> > Can anyone provide a cogent explanation for why I should take the
> > time to climb that learning curve?
>
> Well, it'll take a while, and by the sound of it your time is pretty
> damn important, so I suggest you get back to what you were doing.
>
> > What are the benefits, as you see them?
>
> Emacs is quite simply the most universally useful program ever
> written.
>
> Sebastian

You can view Emacs from many perspectives. It is extensible etc. Handy
for programming which is extremely repetitive in the doing.

The essence of using Emacs though is hacking Emacs itself with elisp, in that
aspect it is the most portable software emulation of the now almost forgotten
Lisp Machines that I know of.