Re: charset problems in CVS emacs

From: Dmitri Minaev
Subject: Re: charset problems in CVS emacs
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:07:29 +0400

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 6:16 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>  is a specification from libfontconfig2. You could edit /etc/fonts/
>  fonts.conf (or the equivalent on your system) to make it know all
>  font resources of your system (and don't forget 'sudo fc-cache').

Hmm. Until today, I didn't even know it was called 'fontconfig'. I
only cursed trying to find the way to add a fontpath to the missing
font server :) So, I will postpone this solution till I learn how
fontconfig works.

>  You
>  could also try to find a TrueType or OpenType font with all four
>  variants (regular, bold, italic, bold-italic) that has well-shaped
>  mono-spaced Cyrillic and Latin glyphs.

So I did. Unfortunately, I can't find the way to disable antialiasing,
which makes me feel like a hedgehog in the fog and strain my eyes
trying to discern the shapes through the haze of font smoothing. I
would prefer a crisp and clear X font.

>  You could create a fontset that specifies Latin and Cyrillic and
>  Unicode encodings. Then make this fontset the default.

I tried to do so, but it didn't work. Perhaps, I wasn't sufficiently diligent.

>  You could set LANG or LC_CTYPE to the proper value? Or use prefer-
>  coding-system?

If I only knew which value is proper :/... I tried setting
prefer-coding-system to utf-8, but to no avail.

>  You could launch GNU Emacs with --disable-font-backend. It will show
>  a slightly different behaviour.

Bingo! This one works. Now, I've got both Unicode support and
multi-tty without blurred fonts. Thank you!

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

Russian history blog: http://minaev.blogspot.com