IMAP over SSH in GNUS

From: Hans Ekbrand
Subject: IMAP over SSH in GNUS
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:51:16 +0100

Dear list!

I want to try out gnus for reading email. Currently, I use mutt with IMAP over
ssh like this:

set tunnel="ssh -q code.cjb.net 'export MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Maildir;
/usr/lib/dovecot/imap --exec-mail imap'"

After reading the documentation of gnus, I tried the following:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "textnews.news.cambrium.nl"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '(
                (nnimap "code.cjb.net"
                        (nnimap-stream shell)
                        (imap-shell-program "ssh -q code.cjb.net 'export
MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Maildir; /usr/lib/dovecot/imap --exec-mail imap'")
                 )
                (nnimap "test"
                     (nnimap-address "localhost")
                     (nnimap-server-port 1234)
                 )
        )
)

While the second entry "test", works it requires:

 a. a working ssh-tunnel before I start gnus
 b. that the imap server is configured to listen on a port and to authenticate
 c. that gnus manages (asks me about) username and password for the imap server

All of which are unnecessary in my current setup (the mutt-onliner above).

Why does not the first entry above "code.cjb.net" work? (gnus says:
     {nnimap:test} (opened)
     {nnimap:code.cjb.net} (denied))