Re: kill buffer in other window

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: kill buffer in other window
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:27:06 +1100

Florian Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello
> Say you called something that displays a new buffer in the 'other
> window', e.g. describe-function, grep. When you done reading that
> buffer, you want to undo the displaying. That is kill the buffer, and
> delete the window if one was created. I din't found yet a convenient
> way to do it. Of course I can write a small lisp function, but I think
> there are other cool ways.

First, don't get hung up on killing the buffer. Buffers like *Help*
don't use much resoruces and the buffer will be reused next time you use
help. I've often got many buffers open in emacs at a time (normally
around 30 or more).

All you want is to have the buffer not use up valuable display space. To
do this, use the window commands. For example, when a help buffer pops
up and your finished with it, just hit C-x 1 from within the buffer you
want to stay and the help buffer will vanish while your current buffer
expands to fill the frame.

tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au