Re: Suppressing load messages

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Suppressing load messages
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:59:28 -0400

Brendan Halpin <brendan.halpin@ul.ie> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> This is all STDERR, i.e. the *Messages* buffer.  If you redirect STDERR
>> or STDOUT, you can suppress the messages, or capture the output in a file.
>>
>> For example, "hello 2</dev/null"
>
> Yes, but that's not a solution so much as a workaround.

Well if there can be no arrangement, then we are at an impasse.

>> The real question you should be asking is why emacs is loading all that
>> crap when you're using the --script option.  Who's in charge of your
>> site-start.el?
>
> Indeed. In practice Debian are in charge, but there's nothing to stop me
> changing it -- now all I need is to know (i) how to tell at startup if emacs
> is invoked with --script and (ii) how to interfere with the site-start.d
> process.

By the above I mean that what you're suggesting sounds like a
workaround, and my workaround sounds like a solution.  Perhaps there's
another way to redirect *Messages* from within Emacs.

You can still redirect your output.  If you don't want that, then
perhaps you need to reconsider why you're using --script.

Like I said if you want to edit files in place, you just open them, edit
them and save them, and STDOUT is incidental; in fact, all you'll get is
STDERR unless your functions have side-effects that call princ.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.