Help on Slime

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Help on Slime
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:04:26 +0100

Dear All,
I am completely new to LISP (I want to learn it out of curiosity and maybe one day it will be useful to me) and surely not very experienced about using emacs. I am running Debian testing on my box and installed both emacs and slime from Debian repositories.
I am a bit puzzled: if I create a file test.lisp with the trivial content:

(+ 1 2)

and then I load it then both the lisp mode and slime mode are automatically enabled. However, if I try positioning the cursor and using C-x C-e I get the message

Not connected.

If I disable the slime (M-x slime-mode), then C-x C-e returns the obvious value 3. What am I doing wrong? What I am seeing does not look much like the video at:

http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/slime.html

In case it matters, I can post the .emacs file I am using.
Many thanks

Lorenzo