Re: gnuserv - emacs problem (23.0.60.1)

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: gnuserv - emacs problem (23.0.60.1)
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:47:43 +0100

    M> I can make it open a new frame (Window) by setting “server-window” to
    M> “switch-to-buffer-other-frame”, but then “C-x #” leaves a window on
    M> the desktop behind, containing “*scratch*” or whatever.

    M>  MfG bmg

It's documented (try 'emacsclient --help' if you don't want to read it all)
that emacsclient from the development version you're using has the '-c' option
for creating a new frame. It vanishes again after you quit with 'C-x #'.

I think this is the behaviour you're looking for.

GNU Emacs 23 also has the "multi-tty" capability added, meaning that you can
use emacsclient to open up new frames either on your X display or in the
console/xterm from the *same* instance of your running emacs. That makes it
possible to start an emacs in a "GNU Screen" session in the background. Use
emacsclient calls to open up frames on the device of your choice. With that,
you can
even log out of X without losing your emacs session.

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

People who advocate simplicity have money in the bank; the money
came first, not the simplicity.

Douglas Coupland: JPod