What is Emacs doing when I start gdb-mode?

From: hui wang
Subject: What is Emacs doing when I start gdb-mode?
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 16:33:49 +0800

Hi,

    I'm using Emacs 22 on Linux. After start gdb-mode by `M-x gdb', it shows that emacs is reading something. Then I start `gdb-many-windows'.

    In the "*GUD*" buffer, there is a status of gdb in the mode line: "initializing". What is Emacs doing at this moment?

    The reason I ask this question is it takes a long time (about 4 mins) for Emacs to tell me gdb is "ready" by the status of mode line. Before that, I can not use gdb. I do not know what's going on.

    Does anybody have any idea on it?

Thanks!
Dayon.