Re: ELisp: special read syntax for regular expressions?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: ELisp: special read syntax for regular expressions?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 01:12:47 +0200

Am 06.04.2008 um 23:38 schrieb Ilya Zakharevich:

Too much,

CPerl/Microdocs/Faces menu entry explaines which faces are used for
what (or see `cperl-tips-faces').  In your judgement, which constructs
should be "glued" together into one face?

Separators (high-lighted? bold face?), parentheses used semantically (not as element to be matched or found), "modifiers" like s or m before and [egimosx] after the RegExp, referenced text (i.n., inside "(" and ")"), back-references, class specifications ("[:alpha:]") if not already referenced, other text.

It might be desirable to use in the from part darker shades of the colour than in the to part, i.e., <colour>3 in from and <colour>2 in to section. Since GNU Emacs has a very good undo function it might be better to emphasise on the from part, to think better about this, to achieve on first try the desired change. (At least I have to try more than once from time to time.)

too intense colours.  Using a shy colour for [:<type>:] is a =20=
good choice: this syntax is too easy.

Thanks, but no thanks.  Please keep your comments which colors look
good for you for your personal consumption (and/or your customization
file).

There is good evidence found that different colours have different effect on humans. Blueish and greenish colours have a relaxing effect on the eye when used as a background colour on the computer screen (more exert muscle activity is needed to perceive text in reddish colour sharply). This also tells that text in blueish and greenish colour is easier sharply perceived, i.e., more visible, lighter to read as text with a certain meaning. Reddish colour does not seem to need text to become evident as a warning. (At least I do not read red text so often, for me it's OK that there is some, standing for "an error just happened!")

 =96 where is the RegExp

Do not know what you mean here.

There are so many and different colours in use that I hardly can recognise any REs. I have the feeling that most lines of your examples are faulty, but I confess that I do not know all Perl RegExps by heart.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Imbecility, n.:
        A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting
        censorious critics of this dictionary.
                        – Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_