really deleting an nnimap message

From: marklar
Subject: really deleting an nnimap message
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:56:25 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I'm using emacs22 with nnimap, and am having trouble fully deleting a
message.

I will describe the problem below, and would like to know what it is
that I need to understand about gnus to know why it is behaving the
way it is and how to fix it.

Here is what happens:
I delete a message with B-del or what have you
I quite gnus and restart, and reenter the inbox
I type /o to see all the old articles
Apparently ALL of the emails I have every downloaded using nnimap show
up.

Most of them have been deleted before.
Given one of these deleted emails, I find that the message is not
being stored on the server side anymore.
However, I do find that the message is being stored in ~/News/agent/
nnimap/myaccount/INBOX

When I say that the message is being stored, I just mean that there a
record of the email in ~/News/agent/nnimap/myaccount/INBOX/.overview
that is being used to display the message in the summary buffer.

When I press enter to read the message, it gets marked with a G, and
the body is not displayed, given that it's not stored on the server.
When I try to delete the message with B-del, it tells me that the
article can't be deleted.

I wouldn't mind this so much if it stayed marked G all the time and I
could /NG<enter> and be done with it every time I enter the mail box,
but depending on the various ways that I exit the program or what have
you (I haven't discovered what all causes what yet) the message shows
up marked with variously an O or a . or some such thing, and now I
have over a thousand messages to manually visit to discover which ones
are real in order to clean my mail box.

Thanks,

marklar