Re: Using setq to obtain a symbol from a list, so that I can assign a f

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Using setq to obtain a symbol from a list, so that I can assign a function to it
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:36:44 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:28:03 -0700 (PDT) srinik001@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> s> So, I am trying to write a tool that will enable me to write specific
> s> XML files by prompting me to enter values. Here is how I am trying to
> s> do it.
>
> You may want to look at the various templating packages available, in
> case one of them does what you want.  Check out skeleton.el in
> particular (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SkeletonMode for some
> examples) since any element of the template can itself be a template.
> That will probably save you a lot of time.
>
> Anytime you find yourself auto-generating functions you should wonder if
> your data structure could be better (sometimes the answer is 'no' :)

Well, I wouldn't be so categoric.  You could start by writting an
"interpreter" of your data, but generating lisp is like implementing
the "compiler", so I don't see much difference.  It's so easy to do it
in lisp, that you can go directly to the "compiler".

THIS IS A 100% MATTER PRODUCT: In the unlikely event that this
merchandise should contact antimatter in any form, a catastrophic
explosion will result.