Re: init file help

From: reader
Subject: Re: init file help
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:23:54 -0500

DeSoya <nathan.doyle26@gmail.com> writes:

> I can't open the program using the command line for some reason. I
> tried the "emacs -q" command in both cygwin and dos and get the
> following error:
>
> ndoyle@CMAXP /cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-22.1/bin
> $ emacs -q
> bash: emacs: command not found

You mentioned having installed from a *.zip file.  Where did it get
installed?

There should be an emacs or emacs-VERSION directory where the base
install was done.  So inside the emacs* directory you will find a
`bin' directory inside that is both an emacs.exe and runemacs.exe

On windows I think you need to execute runemacs.exe

>From a cygwin window run the command using address where you emacs is
installed in place of MYBASE_INSTALL

 MYBASE_INSTALL/emacs/bin/runemacs.exe -Q

Should start your emacs with out loading any of your init files.

This won't find your missing file but at least you can use emacs.

To find the missing file ... from windows explorer right click your
C:\ drive and select `search' from the menu.

Insert the name of the init file.. it may take a while but will
probably find it unless you've installed on a different disk or
somehow moved the init to a different disk.