Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: emacs 22 missing iso-accents-mode
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 21:39:00 +0200

> If you start Emacs in a Norwegian locale,

Hm... it's in a US locale, with Norwegian keyboard settings, Norwegian
time and a lot of other Norwegian settings.

(I really hate having menus in Norwegian, because it makes it hard to
search for problems, and describe problems)

> it should automatically load the "Latin-1" language environment (a
> generic environment for those Western European languages that do not
> have their own language environment). The default input method in that
> environment is latin-1 prefix, so all the OP should need to do is hit
> C-\ to switch it on.

Hm... the behaviour I'm actually looking for, is the one I had with
iso-accents-mode, which is the ability to type the accents I don't have,
for certain modes.

I put it into the text-mode-hook, which meant I got iso-accents mode on
in
 - text mode
 - the SGML/XML/HTML modes I've used (psgml, nxml)
 - mail and news
 - version control checkin messages

But not in places like eg. c-mode.