RE: Q: How do You Indent to same level as last instance of a givenchar?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Q: How do You Indent to same level as last instance of a givenchar?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 09:51:29 -0700

> nxhtml only works on xhtml, xhtml doesn't work on the net (i.e. not
> supported by IE6-7, no partial render in FF2).
>
> I need a good HTML4.01 which works with php code.

Hi Richard. I'm no expert on this, and I'm not trying to distort or ignore your
requirement - only you know what you need.

But FWIW, I use IE6 with XHTML all the time, and I have colleagues who use IE7
and FF2. Also, all of Oracle's online doc is XHTML, and I expect that other
publishing streams have moved to it as well, because of its ease of generation
from XML, ease of validation and transformation, and so on.

It's true that HTML's error handling rules are more graceful (tolerant), and I
can see how that could be an important consideration.

You have probably already looked into this more deeply than I have, but just in
case it helps, here is a pretty good comparison of XHTML and HTML 4.01:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs. Wikipedia also has a good article on XHTML,
with some discussion of the relationship between the two:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHTML#Relationship_to_HTML. A comparision wrt the
latest HTML spec (5) is here: http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/HTML_vs._XHTML.

The XHTML spec's subtitle is  "a reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0". But that
of course doesn't imply anything about particular browser support or how well
XHTML plays with PHP. Anyway, HTH.